Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Mustangs men shoot down UMA Moose at Augusta Civic Center

Mustangs men shoot down UMA Moose at Augusta Civic Center

AUGUSTA, Maine (CMCC)  – A team has to play forty minutes to win a college basketball game.  Some teams get excited after twenty minutes, some after twenty five minutes and most after thirty five minutes—at least when they have the lead.  The University of Maine at Augusta gave CM all they could for the first thirty minutes including taking a 47-44 halftime lead.   The Mustangs have been in this situation before and have the confidence and commitment to manage the game and react accordingly.

Matt Attard broke open a four-point game at the eleven minute mark in the second half with back-to-back three's Tuesday as the Mustangs shot down the Moose 102-91 at the Augusta Civic Center. 

The Moose got off to a hot start  hitting their first six shots taking an early 15-4 lead. Aggressive CM defense got the game back even at the ten minute mark with the Mustangs rotating fresh players in and out of the lineup.  Despite being in the unusual position of begin behind at the half, the visitors regrouped and came out of the locker room to begin the second half with a 11-0 run. 

Several Mustangs contributed to the victory.  Corey David led the attack with 22 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 assists.  Elijah Barbour hit for 20 points including some timely shots in the second half.  Josh Chery contributed his usual double double hitting for 16 points, and 10 rebounds.  Rodney Theodore came off the bench to add 14 points and four rebounds.  Jair Johnson also came off the bench to crank up the defense and threw down two tremendous dunks.  He added 8 points and 6 rebounds.

Coach Gonyea, "we came out a bit flat and it took us a while to get some rhythm but we play well when we get our offense from our defense.  Jair sparked us off the bench with his length and ability to read plays.  I was pleased at our overall effort after a tough loss this past weekend."